The Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Nutrition believes that regular physical activity is one of the most important things Iowans can do for their health. It can help:
- Control weight
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Improve core strength
- Contribute to productivity in the classroom and worksite
- Reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes
- Reduce the risk for some cancers
- Improve bone and muscle strength
- Contribute to mental health and mood
- For older Iowans it can prevent falls and increase independence
In short we feel there are few choices that can match the impact on the quality and quantity of your life and regular quality activity. This is why one of our first acts was to design a Governor’s 100 day challenge! It is why we are working on quality core exercises. It is why we will be recognizing worksites, schools, and communities that promote good nutrition and physical activity.
The Governor’s Council views the Governor’s Fitness Challenge as our starting point. We view our goal as the healthiest state in the Nation.
Click here to access illustrations and instructions for quality core exercises.