The Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Nutrition consists of twelve members appointed by the Governor who have expertise in physical activity, physical fitness, nutrition and promoting healthy behaviors. The Council will:
- Assist IDPH in developing a strategy for implementation of the statewide comprehensive plan for nutrition and physical activity developed by Iowans Fit for Life, a program within the Health Promotion unit of IDPH.
- Assist IDPH in establishing and promoting a best practices internet site promoting wellness.
- Provide oversight for the Iowa Governor's Challenge for Physical Fitness and Nutrition, administered by IDPH.
The following Iowans have been appointed to three year terms:
- Beverly Ahern – Grundy Center
- Dr. Brett Altman – Newton
- Dr. Casey Clor – West Des Moines
- Dr. Diane Bartholomew – Lamoni
- Jim Hallihan – Ames
- Dr. Jennifer Hill – Pleasant Hill
- Curtis Linhart – Urbandale
- Jenny Norgaard – Ankeny
- Dr. Gregory Peterson – Des Moines
- Jennifer Peterson – Windsor Heights
- Brian Tate – Johnston
- John Walling – Des Moines
The Governor’s Council attended the Live Healthy Iowa Kickoff Press Conference held at the State Capitol on January 20, 2011.